- Each half-term, we use quality core texts from which we plan the majority of our learning. We work as a staff team to ensure that across the year, all objectives are met for both Year 1 and Year 2 in all curriculum areas.
- In addition to our planned activities, the children have Busy Learning periods every day where they can guide their own learning and access independent challenges which are linked to our main text.
- The whole of our continuous provision environment is utilised in this planning, both indoors and out.
- We promote the use of literacy and maths skills throughout our continuous provision to ensure that the children are using what they have been taught previously. This application and transfer of skills supports the children in creating deeper understanding.
- The children also take control of their extended learning through weekly Learning Walks. These take place once the main text is understood and we develop thinking skills using the approach of 'sustained shared thinking'. Adults and peers support each child to develop their thinking and creating an ethos of challenge and perseverance.
- We then have a Learning Talk discussion later in the week to ensure that the ideas have been worked on and to create further adaptations to thinking.
Our aim is to develop purposeful learners who think outside the box, challenge themselves, persevere, listen and share ideas throughout.