Please look at the daily challenge video on the page and we are looking forward to seeing the work that you are carrying out. If you require further information, and to send photographs of the work, please contact Mrs Stevens on email@example.com.
Phonics (choose two activities each day)
Discuss the sounds that we have already learnt
S a t p I n m d g o c k e u r ck h b f l
Play phoneme pop – choose the sounds we are learning and have fun!
Play our blending game – are you getting better?
play the treasure chest game – talk to your adult about a real or not real word
go on a writing treasure hunt – see Mrs Stevens on:
CHOOSE ACTIVITIES FROM THE HOME PACK
Maths (choose 2 activities each day)
Play the helicopter game for recognition of numbers
play the bottle take away game
develop your counting with the ladybird game
play the number hunt ordering game from Mrs Stevens on
CHOOSE ACTIVITIES FROM THE HOME PACK
Text: Owl Babies – listen to the story on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPQRiSTYFHo
Listen to the story with your child – key questions: Who is the main character in this story? Who are the other characters? What happens at the beginning? What was your favourite part of the story and why?
- Look at the keyword page – ask your grown up to write these out for you or use the keyword home pack and see if you can recognise them – keep trying and see if you recognise more each time.
- Read a book together – use the oxford owl website and choose 4-5 year old books or 4-7. I really like Big Bad Bug!
Please see below the daily challenges that will be introduced to your child in our daily video
- Write a diary about what you have been doing at home – use the keyword I to start the sentence and then use your sounds. My recount is…. I watched a film. I could hear lots of sounds – w, t, d in watched and f I l m in film. Don’t forget that you need to form your letters correctly and use the handwriting page on the website to help you. A reminder of the session from Mrs Stevens – please see https://youtu.be/BnzJdONxZiU If you feel that your child is working well with writing a sentence then add another sentence for detail – tell us more about what you have done, was it fun? Ie I went to the park. It was fun. I watched a film. It was a silly film.
- Read our new story – Owl Babies – listen to Mrs Stevens tell the story on https://youtu.be/21X5eEat7OU
- Once you have listened to the story – can you make a nest for the owls to keep them safe? What will you use? When you are on your walk you may notice some nests too!
- Mrs Stevens will talk about our new sound https://youtu.be/ryCmBBZIFbI - We have some new sounds to learn this week – the letter j – please watch the following video which introduces the children to the sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHe1GoxTyEI
- Once you have watched the videos a few times and practised the new sound with your child, please see how many words they can create with the new sounds. Don’t forget you can use the sounds we have learnt already – I have thought of jet and jam – can you think of more? Can you find anything in your house that begins with our new sound? Ask your grown up to make some letter cards of our new sound that you can then use in your phonics.
- Daily challenge – what can you find out about other nocturnal animals? Watch nocturnal creatures Animal antics – animals at night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fBSL5gpe8M
- Can you create some pictures/ a list of what you find out?
- Mrs Stevens will talk about the next sound on https://youtu.be/E5gr7MtAEL8 It is the letter v – again Geraldine will introduce your children to this sound through the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qklEXh7Dc
- Once you have watched the videos a few times and practised the new sound with your child, please see how many words they can create with the new sounds. Don’t forget you can use the sounds we have learnt already – I have thought of van and vet – can you think of more? Can you find anything in your house that begins with our new sound? Ask your grown up to make some letter cards of our new sound that you can then use in your phonics.
- Can you create a lantern to help see at night? Watch Mrs Stevens show you how to create one – you may know a different way - https://youtu.be/5PQNmtRF7uw
- Play a number game with Mrs Stevens – this one is all about length – have fun! https://youtu.be/Wesb1KvpLb8
- Can you retell the story ‘Owl babies’ with your grown up? – What happens at the beginning? At the end? In the middle? What was your favourite part? Can you create a picture of your favourite part?
- Can you create a special treat for the owl babies? What will it be? Will it be cookies? A new home? A game?
- Talk to your grown up about your favourite thing that you have done this week – what did you challenge yourself with? Did you find it hard? What did you do to help?
- Let Mrs Stevens know something that you have done this week
Additional daily tasks – time dependent:
- Go on a shape hunt around your room – what different shapes can you find?
- Investigate height – what can you find around your house that is taller than you? What is shorter than you? Can you find anything that is taller than your grown up?
- Play I spy – what can you find in your house that begins with t?
- Play the description game. Ask your grown up to choose an object – they have to give you clues about this object – can you guess what it is?
- Go on a walk – how many numbers can you see whilst walking around? What can you see that starts with the sound g?
- You can also access any further home learning ideas through the new app – 50 things to do before you are 5 - https://www.cambslearntogether.co.uk/early-years-and-childcare/narrowing-the-gap/50-things-to-do
- Go on a ‘scavenger’ hunt around your house/garden – can you find something purple? Can you find something that begins with the sound s? – can you find the number 2? What other colours. Letters and numbers can you find?
- Lots of games and activities from the RSPB https://www.rspb.org.uk/fun-and-learning/for-kids/